A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, with reports of many dead.
The incident took place on the famous Promenade des Anglais during a firework display, media reports say.
One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street, some being tended to.
The local prefecture has urged people in the area to remain indoors, calling the incident “an attack”.
Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said that “a lorry driver appears to have killed dozens of people”.
Sebastien Humbert, the prefect of the Alpes-Maritimes region, told France’s BFM TV that “perhaps about 30 people” were dead and 100 injured.
He said the lorry driver had been shot dead.
There are now unconfirmed reports that at least 73 people have died.
Christian Estrosi, a leading regional politician in the area, said on Twitter it was “the worst drama in the history of Nice with more than 70 victims already”.
News TV channel iTELE put the death toll at 73 shortly, citing a police source.
84 Dead, 202 Hurt in ‘Terrorist’ Nice Truck Attack
Prime Minister Manuel Valls on Friday called the man who rammed his truck into a crowd in Nice a ‘terrorist’ with probable links to radical Islam, as France plunged into mourning for the 84 people killed in the attack.
At least 10 children and teenagers were among the dead, mown down as Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel plowed his lorry through the festive crowd of thousands watching fireworks for France’s national day on Thursday night.
Anti-terrorism prosecutor Francois Molins said the Tunisian attacker was “completely unknown” to the intelligence services but that the assault was “exactly in line with” calls from jihadist groups to kill.
Valls said Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, 31, was “probably linked to radical Islam in one way or another”, although Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve cautioned it was too early to confirm a link.
As France was left reeling from its third major attack within 18 months, President Francois Hollande warned that the toll could rise further, with more than 50 people fighting for their lives.
The attack left a scene of carnage on Nice’s picturesque Promenade des Anglais, with mangled bodies strewn over the palm-fringed walkway.
AFP reporter Robert Holloway witnessed the white truck driving at speed into the crowd, causing “absolute chaos”.
“It was hurtling towards us and we had just enough time to yell at each other ‘get out of the way!’,” he said.