US First Strikes on Yemen Rebels

The US military directly targeted Yemen’s Huthi rebels for the first time on Thursday, hitting radar sites controlled by the insurgents after US warships came under missile attacks twice in four days.

The Iran-backed rebels have denied carrying out the attacks, which saw missiles fired at US warships in the Red Sea on Sunday and Wednesday but falling short of their targets.

The United States is providing logistical support to a Saudi-led coalition that has been battling the rebels since last year, but Thursday’s strikes marked the first time Washington has taken direct action against the Huthis.

The Pentagon said the cruise missile strikes — authorised by President Barack Obama — were launched at 4:00 am local time (0100 GMT) by the destroyer USS Nitze against territory on Yemen’s Red Sea coast controlled by the Huthis.

“Initial assessments show the sites were destroyed,” Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement.

The strikes “targeted radar sites involved in the recent missile launches threatening USS Mason and other vessels operating in international waters in the Red Sea and the Bab al-Mandeb (Strait),” it added.

“These limited self-defence strikes were conducted to protect our personnel, our ships, and our freedom of navigation in this important maritime passageway.”

The USS Mason, a destroyer, was targeted on Wednesday by a missile fired from rebel-held territory which crashed into the ocean before reaching its target.

The Mason and the USS Ponce, an amphibious staging base, were previously targeted on Sunday by two missiles that also fell short.

“The United States will respond to any further threat to our ships and commercial traffic, as appropriate, and will continue to maintain our freedom of navigation in the Red Sea, the Bab al-Mandeb, and elsewhere around the world,” Cook said.

A Yemeni military source said the US missiles hit radar sites near Al-Makha and Al-Khukha in southwestern Yemen and Ras Isa, further north along the coast.  

– Attack claims ‘baseless’: rebels -The Huthis said the accusations they had fired on US warships were “baseless”.

“Such claims aim to create false justifications to step up attacks and to cover up for the continuous crimes committed by the aggression against the Yemeni people,” the rebel-controlled Saba news agency quoted a military official allied with the rebels as saying on Thursday.

The Saudi-led coalition launched its campaign in March last year, after the rebels seized control of large parts of Yemen including the capital Sanaa, forcing the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi to flee. 

The coalition has since carried out hundreds of air strikes and provided ground troops to support Hadi’s forces, but it has failed to dislodge the rebels — who are allied with forces loyal to ex-president Ali Abdallah Saleh — from key areas.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s